Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge Day 3: 15 interesting facts about yourself

I don't know that there are really 15 interesting things about me...and what I think is interesting, other people might think is boring.  But, here goes:

1 - I have a very eclectic / wide-ranging taste in music.  The 34 days worth of music currently on my iPod has country (1930s to current), rock (1950s to current), classical, show tunes, lots of Christmas, some hip-hop, and bluegrass.  My favorites are the Beatles, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, and Brad Paisley.

2 - I love football...Nebraska Cornhuskers and pro football.  If there is a football game on, I'm probably watching it.

3 - I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, so from high school on I worked in a corn research facility, as a certified nurses' aide, a nanny for five children, a semi-truck driver, and as a financial processor for 401(k) plans.  Now I'm a librarian, and I love it!

4 - I wanted to be in the military more than anything as a teenager.  I had the paperwork done for the Naval Academy, but I was born with a heart murmur that can be heard with a stethoscope.  As a result, I was disqualified from any military service.  My husband served in the United States Marine Corps for four years; that's the closest I will ever get to "serving" the military.

5 - I graduated from a class of 14 people.  I moved into the school my senior year, and two of the graduates were foreign exchange students from Germany. 

6 - I live three doors away from my mother-in-law and father-in-law.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 - My husband and I compete in an action handgun league in a USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Association.)  I shoot a .45 Kimber Custom in the single stack division.  If you don't know anything about guns, that won't mean anything to you...I love this new hobby I've taken up.  I shoot at targets and am ranked based on the accuracy and speed at which I finish the course.  I'm not very fast, but I am accurate.

8 - I love to read fiction books (especially cheap romance novels), but I rarely go to a movie.  The last two movies I saw in the theater were "Crazy Stupid Love" and "I Walk the Line."  I love to watch documentaries -- especially history or true crime, but I don't care to read non-fiction unless it is about crafts or cooking...and really, those books I just browse.

9 - I love brussel sprouts.  I only get them a few times a year because Trevor thinks they are disgusting and stink up the house.

10 - While I love to quilt and sew, I cannot do "YARN" crafts...crocheting and knitting are beyond me!  I have tried, and failed, and tried again and failed again...it's just a nightmare!

11 - I love to bake and can.  I have cut back majorly on baking because I also love to EAT all the things I bake, so in an effort to keep my waist under control, I took up running and bicycling...and reduced my baking A LOT a few years ago...**SIGH**

12 - I am a naturalist in that I do not wear any make up.  I rarely paint my fingernails.  I do shave my legs, though...just in case you were scared.  I figure that make-up is just a waste of my sleeping time, and it usually just makes me break out on account of being blessed with really bad skin.

13 - When I am not biking around town, I drive a 1999 Nissan Altima with a stick shift.  I prefer driving a stick shift...for some reason, automatic transmissions make me antsy.

14 - I don't really like to travel.  I like to camp at small campgrounds around Nebraska, but I don't really care to go on 'vacations' per se...I miss my dogs and my bed too much.  The last time we went out of the state was in 2008.  We drove to Las Vegas because I wanted to see Cirque du Soleil Beatles Love.  The production was AMAZING!  The drunks who threw up on the bus...not so much.  Too many weirdos for us; We ended up coming home early.

15 - Trevor and I have been married since 1999.  We met on the job...we both drove semi-trucks for the same company.  It was love at first sight for me.  I asked him out the first time...once he said yes, we never looked back.

I just got done canning some strawberry preserves and blackberry jam.  I hope you are having a great Sunday, and don't forget to take care of you!

2 comments:

  1. I love brussel sprouts too! My Husband calls them green balls of death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband said that he will call them green balls of death from now on... :)

    ReplyDelete