Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge Day #12

** Worst Injury You've Had and How You Got It **

Last summer I decided that I really wanted to become a roller derby girl.  I found out they were starting a team in a nearby town.  I have a lot of pent up aggression, and I am always looking for ways to *TRY* to stay in shape.  So I did some research and purchased a roller derby rookie package...for only $400, I got speed skates, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, a mouth guard, and a helmet.

I got home from work on Monday, August 1, around 7:30 pm.  Trevor told me I had received my stuff.  I was so excited.  I pulled everything out, put on the skates, and immediately headed out to the deck to make sure the skates fit.  The skates fit fine, but my klutziness reared it's ugly head.  About the fourth time across the deck, I totally lost my balance.  Trevor (who was just coming through the gate into the yard) said that my feet actually went above my head.  I awkwardly landed with all my weight and momentum on my left hand; My left had was behind me...Holy Cow!!!  Holding my left wrist tightly, I squeezed my eyes shut and said, "Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow..." etc.  It hurt so bad I couldn't even swear.

Trevor ran over, "Are you okay?"

"No, I think I'm going to lay down."

At this point, he shoved my head forward.  "You are not passing out on me!"

Trevor's usual response to pain (his or anyone else's) is to giggle like a little girl.  He starts giggling, untying the skates, calling Jane and Denny (neighbors) to "watch" me while he rounds up the keys and my shoes.  At this point he says, "Do you think you broke it?"

"It's broken."

" Maybe you just sprained it..." 

"It's broken."

"Let me see it."

As my face split and fire spewed from my eyeballs, an evil "NO!  Don't touch me!" came out.

Apparently I was quite white because Jane kept asking me if I needed to throw up.  My Shiloh Dog was freaking out...he knew Mama was hurt.  He tried to bite Trevor; he must have thought Trevor hurt me.

Anyway, within ten minutes of putting on my fabulous new skates, I was on my way to the emergency room.  Two hours later I was on my way home with a temporary cast and some really good drugs.  I broke both bones in my wrist.  Three days later I got a permanent cast (purple) that I got to wear for six weeks.  Then I had two months of physical therapy because nothing works right after your wrist has been immobile for six weeks.  The tip of the bone above my pinkie finger (styloid process) never reattached, so there was talk of surgery...which was decided against.  Thank Goodness!

Now for KARMA--
My sister-in-law teased me about breaking my wrist and about how I broke my wrist, so she decided to go to a Halloween Party at a bar as a roller derby girl (with both my nieces).  I warned her not to put on the skates...but she put them on close to midnight.  She fell just like I did...broke the same bones...only she broke her right wrist...and she had to have surgery right away...don't make fun of the injured!  ; )

Since I had "worn the skates," I was unable to return them or any of the other stuff.  So, I sold it all to a girl who was joining the roller derby team...for $150.  So the whole experience cost me around $1350 (after I "recouped" my $150 from the sale of my rookie package."  Yep.  Good Times.

Moral of the story:  They include safety equipment for a reason...USE IT...

Have a great day, and take care of you!

Read about others misfortunes...on the blog hop

No comments:

Post a Comment