Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

An oldie, but a goodie!

THE COMPLETE BOOK OF SMALL-BATCH PRESERVING by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard is in its third revised/expanded edition.  It was updated last in 2007.  It's one of the few books I purchased after borrowing it from the library.  It has over 300 recipes designed for year-round preserving...it is awesome.





This book gives each recipe in US measurements and metric measurements...always nice for those of you who understand the metric system. 
 
I have made the jalapeno jelly from this book.  I personally think that jalapeno jelly is YUCKY, but my husband and his buddies seem to really enjoy jalapeno jelly over cream cheese on crackers.  Whatever floats their boats.

I wanted to make something new, though.  So...I found super cheap blackberries when I was at the store.  Maybe someone accidentally ordered too many??  Somebody put the wrong price down??  I just grabbed and dashed to the checkout, giddy with my find...

For less than $4, I made a cute little batch of blackberry jam.  I didn't find many blackberry-specific recipes in any book, so I used the raspberry jam recipe from THE COMPLETE BOOK OF SMALL-BATCH PRESERVING.  It worked great.  It was supposed to make 4 cups (or 4 - 1/2 pint jars.)  I put them in 1/4 pint jars, and I got 10 - 1/4 pints (or 5 - 1/2 pint jars.)
Isn't the color beautiful?
If I'm smart and hold onto several jars of different types of jelly, jams, and preserves, these make great gift baskets at Christmas.  An inexpensive basket from a thrift shop, some cute material, an assortment of home-canned goods, and a box of crackers or scones...trust me...that is a gift that is appreciated.  Of course, if you are like me, you've given away anything you didn't eat yourself long before Christmas rolls around.  Oh, well. 

Have a great week, and take care of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment