Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

Green Produce Bags

My grandma used to wrap her iceberg lettuce in cotton dish towels.  When I asked her why she did that, she said, “It makes the lettuce last longer.”
To a young child, this seemed like an odd answer.  I wondered how the towel made the lettuce “last longer”…I mean, did it make more lettuce grow?  Now I know that it wicks excess moisture away which helps keep lettuce crisp and free from decay longer than many other methods of storage.
I remembered this little happy memory about my Grandma when I was flipping through the book “Sewing Green” by Betz White.  This book has 25 projects made with repurposed & organic materials.  One project she had was “green bags” for veggies and fruits made out of linen instead of using plastic bags.   If you can, this is worth the trip to your local library to check it out!  If you want really great instructions for green bags that are cut out, these are good.
Anyway…I had this project on my mind when I happened to be at a thrift shop and saw a set of six linen place mats.  “How great is that?”  I thought.  Since these already have finished edges, these would make quick and easy green bags!

I wanted to embroider fruit or veggie designs, so I started looking through my collection of embroidery patterns.  I came upon some great vintage iron-on fruit transfers…they would be even faster and cuter.  SCORE!

I ironed on the transfers and sewed up the bags.  I honestly spent more time at the thrift shop and looking through all of my embroidery patterns than I did on sewing these up.  .  I think they turned out cute, and they are useful, too!  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment