If you aren't already regular public library users, well now is the time to see what the library can offer you and your children. Here are some of the great materials and services that many public libraries have:
|THANKS to http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/ for this awesome graphic!|
- BOOKS -- of course, you all know this!
- AUDIOBOOKS -- many childrens' departments have a wonderful selection of children's audiobooks; many also have kits that have the book and CD together so that the child can read along.
- DVDs / VHS tapes -- Many libraries are phasing out VHS tapes, but they may still have a selection. There are movies for children, teens, and adults.
- MAGAZINES -- why buy magazines when you can usually check them out at your library?
- FREE PROGRAMMING -- Most libraries have story times for various age groups; Some even have "Baby Lapsits" where the parent holds the infant while a story is read and other activities appropriate for babies are done. Some libraries also have free programming during Christmas Breaks and Spring Break.
- SUMMER READING PROGRAM -- If your library has a summer reading program, it is a great way to encourage your children to read throughout the summer.
- DATABASES -- You may be able to access all sorts of databases from your home using your library card. Some that your library may have include a language program like Rosetta Stone or Mango, Chiltons Online, Tutor.com (free live homework help through college-level courses...math, science, proofreading papers, etc.), Ancestry.com or Heritagequest, and online encyclopedias just to name a few.
- E-BOOKS & AUDIOBOOK DOWNLOADS -- More and more libraries have access to services like Overdrive where you can 'check-out' e-books for you kindle, nook, or other e-reader or download audiobooks for your iPod or MP3 player.
- TUMBLEBOOKS -- If your library has access to this service, your child can have a book read to him/her on a computer or iPad. There are also activities that go with most of the stories.
- INTERNET ACCESS
Have a wonderful day, and take care of you!