Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge for August 6

**Do I have a favorite author?**

This is really a loaded question for someone who works in a library!  I have lots of favorite authors...depending on the genre.  We just had a questionnaire go around for a "staff pick" display at our library. 

Here are some of my favorite books--books that somehow changed my view of the world or, at least, have stuck with me for years and years:
  • Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  • Masque of the Red Death, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Black Cat  by Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Scarlet Letter and Rapuccini's Daughter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Any of the Post Secret books compiled by Frank Warren
  • Garden Spells, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
For Children / Teens, these are my recommendations...books I loved as a child:
  • Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, Emily's Quest by L.M. Montgomery -- This trilogy is by the same author as the Anne of Green Gables.  The Anne series is good, but the Emily series is AWESOME!  I read this three or four times between fourth and seventh grade...they are that good!
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Charlie's Monument by Blaine M. Yorgason -- This book is out of print, but if you can get it for kindle or maybe find a used copy.  I've read this book seven or eight times.  It is about 100 pages but it teaches so many lessons about overcoming adversity. 
Now for the truth...for my own entertainment I read mostly romance...the smuttier the better.  Here are my favorite romance writers (the higher up on the list they are, the less smutty they are!) 
  • Kaki Warner -- good, solid western romance
  • Jayne Ann Krentz / Amanda Quick -- same writer who writes under different pen names
  • Marianne Stillings
  • Linda Howard
  • Robyn Carr
  • Jennifer Crusie
  • Carly Phillips
  • Jo Davis
  • Kate Angell
  • Rachel Gibson
  • Susan Donovan
  • Stacey Kayne -- She only has about 4 books published, but I sure wish she would write more!!
  • Lori Foster
  • Jill Shalvis
  • Lora Leigh
  • Bella Andre
  • Shiloh Walker
  • Lucy Monroe
See...loaded question for someone who LOVES to read!  Have a wonderful week, and take care of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment